Paving the Way
Strides for Peace Supports:
Summer Cool Down, Back to School, Community Corners
Strides for Peace provides support for Paving the Way to bring old-fashioned fun and much needed community-building and resources to Washington Park. PTW works all year round to diffuse tension, build bridges and provide a safe and welcoming place for those who want to stop the violence.
About Paving the Way
Paving The Way: A Chicago Community Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit affiliated with Greater Bethesda Missionary Baptist Church, which offers educational forums and programs aimed at sharing information with participants as a way to prevent violence and increase community relations among residents in the Washington Park Area and beyond. Additionally, the Paving The Way Project serves as a voice for the community, functioning as an outreach program for violence prevention and intervention, a bridge between public service personnel and the public they serve, and the building up of our neighborhoods.
- Provide information for alternative life choices in the lives of participating youth and young adults.
- Provide information and programming for transitioning from a gang lifestyle.
- Provide exposure to positive people, experiences and opportunities.
- Build relationships with troubled and/or at-risk youth.
- Create a safe space for participants to share their cares and concerns truthfully and authentically (i.e. building communities and being a voice to participants, employment, police interaction, etc.).
- Develop a core identity and sense of belonging to a part of a larger active non-violent lifestyle movement (i.e. building a community with accountability).
- Increase parent involvement and participation in the lives of their children.
- Equip participants with life skills (i.e. finance management, investing, building of skill sets, etc.).
- Community re-engagement.