Thank you for being part of a fun and impactful evening at our 4th Annual Race Against Gun Violence — our most successful race ever! With a beautiful new course, a picture perfect weather, we couldn’t have asked for a better evening.
What a memorable way to come together, take a stand against gun violence and celebrate and support the amazing work being done every day in throughout Chicago. With more the 25 participating community participating, businesses and families from throughout the Chicagoland area, civic organizations and youth, we are building a safer, better Chicago together.
TENATIVE DATE for 2018 is Thursday, June 7th. For more information, please email: email@example.com
Our race continues to grow on every level. This year’s new Grant Park location and June 1st date was such a success, we have decided to stick with it for future races.
Here are some highlights of what we – together with our Community and Civic Partners, Affiliates and Sponsors accomplished:
- 60% increase in race registrations
- 300% increase in participating community organizations, representing a broad range of strategies and services, demographics and Chicago neighborhoods.
- 100% of funds raised distributed back to participating community organizations
- New civic partnerships including: Mayor’s Office, State’s Attorney, Cook County Sherriff, University of Chicago/School of Social Service Administration, Healthy Chicago, the Emerson Collective, Department of Children and Family Services and the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce.
- New sponsors including Ariel Investments, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, University of Chicago’s Center for Youth Violence Prevention, Season’s Hospice and Palliative Care.
- New program features including live performances and an art installation
- Recognition from the Chicago City Council through the passing of a Resolution in support of Strides for Peace’s Race Against Gun Violence.
Strides for Peace Run/Walk 2017
8K, 5K, 2 Mile Walk, and Tots for Peace Sprint
USATF Certified 8K & 5K
Thursday, June 1, 2017
Grant Park, Upper Hutchinson Field, Chicago
- Choose the Strides for Peace 8K or 5K runs, 2 mile walk, or Tots for Peace Sprint (2-12 years old)
- Start and finish line located near Upper Hutchinson Field, Grant Park
- Beautiful course along Chicago’s lakefront
- Out and back along the fast, flat lakefront path
- 8K and 5K courses are USAFT certified and sanctioned
- B-tag timed
- Gender-specific tech running t-shirt included with registration
- Awards for top finishers
- Post-race party with complimentary food, beer and sponsor giveaways
Be a Part of Building Peace in Chicago
- Sign-up to Run and Invite Others to Join
Friends, family and anyone else interested in running or walking to reduce gun violence in Chicago! There’s a race for every level! Register
- Sponsor a Corporate Team
Get your co-workers together and create a corporate team, or gain exposure through a sponsorship.
- Raise Funds to Support Strides for Peace or a Community Partner
Whether you are able to participate in the race or not, you can help raise funds to support our Community Partners’ life-saving work through our peer-to-peer fundraising program.
100% of the proceeds raised through the Strides for Peace race will go back to the community.
- Volunteer for the Race
On the day of the race, we’ll need all hands on deck. Be part of the Strides community and join us for a fun night of celebrating Chicago coming together to promote peace in our beautiful city. Sign up to volunteer
Tots for Peace
For youngsters 2 – 12 years, we offer the opportunity to “run like the wind” on our loop course around Upper Hutchinson Field with the start and finish in the heart of the festivities. The race will be staged in the following age group heats:
- 2-4 years: 50 yards
- 5-12 years: 100 yards
- Start time: 6:40 pm
Tots for Peace youth participants will also receive a tech running t-shirt.
Participants may pick up packets for others and their entire teams. If you are planning on picking up for your team, please have everyone’s name. If you planning on picking up for a group of people, please email ahead and let us know the names of the participants and the time you will be arriving so we can get things ready in advance.
Thursday, June 1, 2017
- Tots for Peace Sprint: 6:40 PM
- 8K Run: 7:00 PM
- 5K Run: 7:00 PM
- 2 Mile Walk: 7:15 PM
- Post-Race Party: immediately following
Upper Hutchinson Field, Grant Park
200 E. Balbo Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60605
Northeast corner of Upper Hutchinson Field
All activities: gear check, packet pickup, race-day registration
Northwest corner of Columbus Drive & Balbo Avenue
8K and 5K start/finish lines
Parking and Transportation
Parking: Parking is available at the underground garages at Millennium Park and Grant Park (rates) and Museum Campus parking at Soldier Field. There is NO parking at the event site.
Public transportation: CTA trains and buses are strongly encouraged.
Bikes: A Divvy Station is located at the corner of Michigan Ave. & Balbo Ave.
- A medical tent will be located at the start finish/location on the course. An ambulance will remain on standby for the duration of the event.
- Course marshals will have communication equipment to alert the medical tent personnel in the case of emergency.